SEE Conference - Bucharest
The Southeast Europe Conference "Heading Toward International Best Practices" was held in Bucharest, Romania on April 5-6, 2006. Over 175 persons participated, drawn from the entire SEE region, as well as from Turkey, Ukraine, Russia, and Moldova. Speakers were drawn from SEE, the U.S., U.K., France, Italy, Turkey, Belgium, Germany, Russia, and Poland.
The Conference discussed the various models of funding mortgage finance used worldwide and the key issues facing development of effective primary and secondary mortgage markets in transition nations. Topics discussed included better credit risk management, streamlining origination and servicing, credit enhancements in the primary and secondary markets, different mortgage loans products for different risk profiles, and secondary market funding techniques from throughout Europe and the U.S. The Conferences section of the website includes a description of the SEE Conference - Bucharest, the agenda, and speaker presentations.
SEE Conference - Sofia
The Southeast Europe Financial Sector Conference "Developing Secondary Mortgage Markets in Southeast Europe" was held in Sofia, Bulgaria on February 4 and 5, 2003. Over 200 persons participated, drawn primarily from the countries of Southeast Europe (SEE), but also including participants from the U.S., Europe, and Central and Eastern Europe. Speakers were drawn from SEE, the U.S., U.K., Belgium, Germany, and Poland. Complete information is available regarding the conference agenda, speakers, speaker biographies, participants, conference proceedings, and speaker presentations.
Poland Housing Finance Conference
Two conferences one discussing housing finance in Poland and one discussing issues with regard to developing mortgage finance in the CEE region were held in Warsaw December 1999, at the conclusion of the four-year Poland Housing Finance Project. The results of the conference proceedings are summarized in:
In addition, two reports prepared in 1999 for the Poland Conference summarized outstanding issues in primary and secondary mortgage market development.
- Joint Congress of UN-HABITAT and the European Federation of Building Societies. "Housing Finance in Emerging Markets: Experiences and Challenges", Berlin, September 22-24, 2004. Information is available at www.eubv2004.com.
- 1st European Mortgage Federation Conference. "Integration of Europe's mortgage markets: is there a business case?" (27-28 November, 2003, Brussels) Information is available at http://www.hypo.org.
- Debt Market Conference. "Building Domestic Debt Markets", sponsored by USAID, held May 13-14, 2003 in Budapest. Information is available at www.debtmarkets.org.
- World Bank Housing Finance Conference. "Housing Finance in Emerging Markets: Policy and Regulatory Challenges", was held in Washington, D.C., March 10-13, 2003. Information is available at www.worldbank.org/wbi/banking/capmarkets/housing.
- OECD Conference. The third "Workshop on Housing Finance in Transition Economies" was help in Warsaw on December 5-6, 2002. Information is available at www.oecd.org/daf/financial-markets.
- Credit Bureau Conference. The "Central Asian Credit Bureau Conference" was held January 29-31, 2003 in Almaty, Kazakhstan. Information is available at www.cbconference.kazecon.kz.
Future conferences of interest to development of mortgage finance in transition and emerging nations will be provided as this website is updated.